TO BUILD A BETTER COMMUNITY
A community of connected individuals, united and working for the benefit of all, is at the heart of our United Way.
It's that simple promise that this organization was founded on in 1921 and continues in the work we do today.
While we continue to support and help people today, we work to create long term change and better life conditions for everyone in our community. For a building to be stable for the long term, it needs a strong foundation. The building blocks for a good foundation in life are built on a strong education, financial stability and good health.
Here's why Education, Income and Health are so important:
- A child who has adequate access to quality childcare, nutrition and health care will succeed in school and in life.
- Full time living wage employment with benefits is the key to long-term financial stability, prevention of homelessness and independence from social services.
- Access to quality health and mental health care prevents poverty, supports families and avoids costly use of emergency room services.
- We recruit people with the passion, expertise and resources to get things done.
- We listen to our community. Through community conversations we learn what people care about most, the challenges they face and what ideas they have to make things better.
- We work together with others to identify strategies that are supported by data and confirmed by research as best practices for solving our toughest issues.
- We take action by turning strategies into concrete ways people can invest their money, time and expertise.